Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Grandma Peggy


Tomorrow, I will be traveling to Massachusetts with my Kindle and textbooks in tow to visit my grandma Peggy. Peggy, also known as Gram, is my one and only grandmother. I haven't had the opportunity to see her as often as I would like to because of her move from New York to Massachusetts. My sister and I used to love traveling to "Upstate New York" which was only a short hour away in Westchester. To us, at the mere age of 4 and 6, seemed like a cross-country traveling experience. My family would pack up our big, clunky, red mini van and trek up to Westchester for a short day trip. My sister and I loved going to Gram's house because she always made us fresh peanut butter cookies for us to eat while we watched her collection of Shirley Temple video tapes. She also saved all of the toys that my father and his brother would play with when they were children. The occasional game of "spoons" would ensue and I remember my sister always figuring out a way to cheat and win. But unfortunately, my spoons playing, peanut butter cookie eating, Shirley Temple watching days are over.

Gram moved to Massachusetts because she could no longer take care of herself or her home. Gram refused to move near my family because she hates Long Island. She chose to move to Massachusetts where my uncle lives. She thought it was best because he had two young daughters and she could help with the babysitting. Shortly after her move to Massachusetts, my grandmother started to lose her short term memory. It didn't start getting bad until about two years ago. She continually asks me when I will be graduating from college which was about two years ago. Although her memory isn't what it used to be, she still has a contagious laugh that could brighten up any situation. I can't wait to see her because I haven't seen her in over a year!

Vocabulary:
opportunity: a chance

mere: nothing more than

clunky: bulky; big

occasional: rare; infrequent

continually: repeatedly

contagious: spreading

Vocabulary Practice: Unscramble the vocabulary words. Use the clues to help you.

1. yitnupopor:  a chance                         _______________________

2. reem: nothing more than                    ________________________

3. kynclu: bulky                                     ________________________

4. laoacsnoi: rare                                    _________________________

5. lylocuntina: repeatedly                       _________________________

6. sigctonau: spreading                          _________________________

Grammar Point: Adjectives are words that are used to describe a noun. Ex: the blue car. "Blue" is the word describing the "car" which is the noun.

Grammar Activity: Underline all of the adjectives in the passage. Then, draw an arrow to the noun it's describing.


No comments:

Post a Comment