Thursday, February 27, 2014

Blast From the Past

Volleyball has been a big part of my life and always will be. I started playing volleyball in 7th grade and continued all the way through my senior year of college. During that time, I won many awards and even captured the state championship title my senior year of high school. I remember those days like it was yesterday.

Last night I was invited to the annual Massapequa Girls Volleyball dinner. I still keep in touch with my high school volleyball coach who was nice enough to extend the invite. I helped out with her varsity team this year and aspire to become a coach and follow her legacy one day. Upon arriving at the dinner, I could not help but think about the last volleyball dinner that I had the pleasure of attending my senior year of high school. Since we had won states that season, we had numerous award dinners to attend. But, that night was the last one of my high school volleyball career.

Countless memories flooded my mind with each step that I took towards the school's cafeteria. When I walked in, it was like I was 18 again, experiencing my last and final high school volleyball event. I looked at all of the young girls who were sitting together, laughing, and sharing memories together. I was so jealous of their youth and how easy their lives are. The speeches went on and the players received their rewards and then the night was over. Another season ends as another season begins.

I look back on the times that I was a high school volleyball player and I can't thank my coach enough for teaching me how to be the person I am today. I credit her for my success and achievements because she truly cared about her players and taught each and every one of us how to be a classy and outstanding individual as well as an athlete. I will always keep her advice and encouragement in the back of my mind because, still to this day, I strive to be just as good as a person as she is.

Vocabulary:

capture- acquire/ take

aspire- yearn/strive

legacy- tradition

pleasure- enjoyment

numerous- multiple

countless- infinite

jealous- envious

credit- honor/ acknowledge

Vocabulary Activity: Draw a line from the vocabulary word to its definition.

capture                                                                             infinite

aspire                                                                               enjoyment

legacy                                                                               acknowledge

pleasure                                                                           yearn/strive

numerous                                                                        envious

countless                                                                         multiple

jealous                                                                            take

credit                                                                              tradition

Grammar Point: A noun is a person, place, thing, or process. ex: car, library, swimming(sport), etc.

Grammar Activity: Read the text above and underline all of the nouns that you see.


County Championship game
















































3 comments:

  1. I liked the vocabulary you chose and the simple, but effective definitions you used for each word. Simple enough for ELLs to understand, but got the proper point across.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got the chills when reading this! You did an excellent job explaining yourself and using descriptive language, I was able to put myself right back into my own high school sports experience.... those were the days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Memories are flooded with my own high school sports days! Great vocabulary!

    ReplyDelete