Thursday, January 16, 2014

"To Twerk or Not to Twerk?"

           Today, I showed my students a traditional folk dance from Ecuadorian and Panamanian culture. My goal was to have the students compare the traditional dances to a dance that is native to their own culture, whatever it may be. I should have anticipated the responses that I had gotten from my classes. The popular responses were the "Wop", "Twerking", "The Wobble", and other recent dances that they have learned from social media. Unfortunately, once the students had started comparing the traditional dances to their own percolation, the class became unruly which made it hard to refocus their attention. I thought that a video of the traditional dances would help. To my satisfaction, I was right! Simultaneously, as I started the "Youtube" video, every single student stopped talking and watched the video. From here on out, I know that I have to guide my students to ascertain a specific response that is beneficial towards their educational experience in my Spanish I class.


anticipated- To figure out something before it happens 

responses- an answer

percolation- dance/movement

unruly- misbehaved/hard to manage

simultaneously- at the same time


beneficial- has worth

ascertain- to discover something
 
satisfaction- pleased or happy about something 

Match the following vocabulary words with its synonym:

1. anticipated                               a. at the same time

2. responses                                  b. misbehaved/ hard to manage

3. percolation                               c. to discover something

4. unruly                                       d. pleased or happy about something

5.  simultaneously                        e. an answer

6. beneficial                                  f. dance/ movement

7. ascertain                                   g. has worth

8. satisfaction                               h. to figure out something before it happens

Grammar Point: Commas are used frequently used in the written language. Commas can be used to separate clauses or to separate things in a list.

Grammar Activity: Underline the phrase or phrases that use commas to separate clauses. Put a square around the phrase or phrases that use commas to separate things in a list.
 

1 comment:

  1. Great first entry! I like your simple definitions for some complex words.

    ReplyDelete